REFUGEE WELLBEING - Health Equity, Navigation & Promotion:
HFP provides an array of holistic services all aimed at empowering refugee women to move toward self-sufficiency, improve their functional English language, achieve emotional wellness, foster healthy relationships within the family (including reducing domestic violence and sexual assault); and build economic stability through job placement, financial literacy classes, civic instructions, and therapy. The program offers direct public benefits screening/application assistance that meets immediate needs to stabilize families and victims including interpretation and translation in 12 different African languages. Translators are provided to all clients. AWC caseworkers and AWC community ambassadors help refugee women apply for benefits and related support services.
The Healthy Families program provides a safe space where refugee women come to be natured mentally, and physically for their well-being. We believe in a holistic approach to ensure that refugee women and youth have improved well-being and are able to be productive members of their families and the community. The program helps them increase their ability to navigate the system. We are “Stitching Lives Together” for our program participants and the community through our wrap-around services.
Healthy Families Program:
- Covid-19 Emergencies
- Vaccine Education, Awareness & Outreach Events
- Help build healthy relationships within the family
- Counseling & Therapy
- Emotional Wellbeing
- Mental Health
- Advocacy, Awareness, & Prevention - Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault
- Human & Social Services Screening & Application
- Financial literacy
- ESL - Attain improved functional language
- FGMC Initiative.
How We Can Help You
- Emergency Assistance - Utility and Rent
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Child Care Assistance – (CAPS)
- PeachCare for Kids
How Can You Help Us
Help us reach our goal of raising 50,000 for our Healthy Families Program. AWC assisted over 800 families in 2021 and over 1,200 in 2020 avoid evictions and utility terminations due to the pandemic and job loss.
We can't do this lifesaving work without your continuous support.