Our sewing program has opened up a world of opportunities for refugee women in Clarkston and surrounding cities. The possibilities are endless. The women are expressing their creative side while earning an income. Of course, there’s nothing more wonderful than the feeling of pride you get when you sew clothes for yourself or sell them as a means of income.
3-month intensive beginner's fundamentals.
6-month of intermediary training.
12-month of advanced applications.
The Amani Sewing Academy program provides a safe space with sewing machines, industrial machines, a fabric room, instructors, counselors, case managers, and AWC Ambassadors. Students get a sewing kit and all accessories.
The program prepares individuals to:
1. Sew for themselves and for their families
2. Join the workforce — employment in the garment/apparel industry.
3. Start home business - sewing for the community.
4. Become employed at AWC's small-scale manufacturing.
5. Advance contractual team (Mostly Alumnae) sew for AWC's social enterprise (Johari Africa).
6. Train to become an assistant teacher and graduate as an instructor teaching at AWC.